We love our jeans, so how can we take care of them? Should we put them in the freezer? What are the rules about tumble drying? If you’d like to understand how to care for your denim, watch our video below.
PS the first tip – leave as long as possible between washes to avoid damage to the shape and material.
1. Instead of washing your jeans, spot clean them with denim wash and a damp cloth to remove any marks or stains.
2. Make sure you air your jeans outside to let them freshen up.
3. Put your jeans into a mesh bag and pop them in the freezer for an hour – this is thought to kill any bacteria residing on your denim.
4. Turn dyed denim, waxed denim and black jeans inside out when washing to preserve their colour.
5. Use a special denim wash or mild detergent.
6. Whether you hand wash or put your jeans in the washing machine, ensure that you wash denim on its own to prevent any colour run from other items – if handwashing, make sure you use cool water.
7. Always avoid tumble drying, as this will affect the shape of your jeans. Where possible, air dry them flat.
If you follow these steps, this should extend the lifespan of your denim.