Mint Velvet Magazine

relaxed glamour happenings...

articles arrow down
We Are Women | The Podcast 13

WE ARE WOMEN | THE PODCAST 13
Freedom

Hosted by Viv Groskop 

This month we’re talking about freedom, the freedom that comes from lounging pool side on your summer holiday to the tiny freedoms we create everyday inside our own heads and hearts. We’ll hear from Presenter and Writer Konnie Huq, Author Anna Hart and Rebecca Holman Editor of The Debrief alongside our host, Viv Groskop.

 

 

Konnie Huq

Konnie Huq

Writer and TV Presenter

@Konnie_Huq

ON HER FREEDOM WITHIN PARENTHOOD…

“Most mums will know but freedom is just sometimes being able to go to the toilet on your own with the door closed. ”

ON DOING AND WEARING WHAT MAKES A PERSON FEEL FREE…

“People should do what makes them happy. If something makes you happy in yourself then that can only be a good thing – as long as it doesn’t inflict any harm on others. If everyone thinks like that we’ll have a much happier society. People won’t be competing with each other for happiness they’ll just be happy in themselves.”

ON HER RELATIONSHIP WITH SOCIAL MEDIA…

“If I tweet something and people respond I feel the need to reply because that’s why questions are asked, to be answered. Suddenly I didn’t want to tweet anything because I didn’t have the time to reply; nappies were going everywhere, vomit was going on, and it was too all encompassing. I sort of only really use it for work.”

Anna Hart

Anna Hart

Author of Departures

@AnnaDotHart
@annadothart

ON WHAT DOES FREEDOM REPRESENT TO HER…

“I’ve always associated freedom with travel – as far as a really grand gesture of freedom goes travel is really up there. It’s something I feel like women cherish as a privilege that we haven’t always had and particularly solo female travel. ”

ON WHERE SHE FINDS TINY, DAILY FREEDOMS…

“Living in Margate has allowed me to take 40 minutes out of my day to run down, jump in the sea and I feel that’s my little slither of adventure and nature. It restores my sanity and I can be back at my laptop within an hour.”

ON THE FREEDOM TO BE SELFISH…

“Any woman who carves out a career is made to feel they are making one selfish decision after the other. I wouldn’t call it selfish but self-interested.”

Rebecca Holman

Rebecca Holman

Editor of The Debrief

@Rebecca_hol
@rebecca_holman

ON THE FREEDOM CLOTHES CAN GIVE…

“Having a really well put together outfit that is perfect for that moment and makes you feel great is the extra 10%. You can do all the other 90% of things but if you get your outfit right you’ve nailed the cherry on top. I think that’s where your wardrobe and clothes can bring you incredible amounts of freedom.”

ON HOW AN OUTFIT CAN EXPRESS FREEDOM…

“Michelle Obama a great example of someone who had so much to think about and people cared so much about what she was wearing; whether it was Jason Wu or Target. In some ways I think that can be really restricting, it takes away the freedom to just concentrate on the matters at hand. But on the other hand she had a whole other tool kit for expressing herself and making a statement – I think that’s where the freedom comes in.”

ON THE FREEDOM AN ITEM OF CLOTHING GIVES HER…

“I’ve really got into yoga and when I say I’ve got into it, I’m really bad at it but I love it. When I put on my yoga pants I instantly feel like I’m in a different zone, it’s quite a weird thing but they instantly make me feel different, instantly more chilled out.”

 

Join the conversation
#WEAREWOMEN

 

Download & Subscribe on iTunes

 

Discover more WE ARE WOMEN articles ›

Your item has been added to the basket
This product is out of stock