SALTED DATE CHOCO-COCO BANANA ICE CREAM
500g ripe bananas, sliced, frozen
100g medjool dates, pitted, soaked 50-100g water
2 vanilla bean pods, scrape pod (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
60g almond butter
60g raw cacao powder
1 tbsp flaked or desiccated coconut
1-2 tsp flaked sea salt
Optional for additional creaminess: 80g coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- Roughly slice and freeze bananas overnight.
- Cover dates with hot water and soak overnight.
- Take out frozen bananas to slightly thaw.
- Pit dates and in a food processor or blender, blend dates, vanilla, almond butter, cacao powder, 1-2 tsp of flaked sea salt and as much water as needed until evenly blended. When ready, set aside in freezer.
- Using the same machine, whip bananas until creamy and smooth. Return to freezer.
- Mix bananas with date paste. Fold in optional coconut cream. Taste and add more sea salt if needed.
- Serve immediately for a soft serve texture. Or, store in a parchment lined container with cling film in freezer for 2-3 hours for a firm ice cream or overnight but rest in room temp for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe also works great without the salted date choco caramel and served with your favourite toppings – making it the perfect summer dessert that everyone can enjoy.